About my Blog

A pleasurable journey on baking, embarked at the spur of the moment but still indulging in it.

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

shape of my heart

I have recently acquired a heart-shaped chiffon pan from an online store in Japan. This had been a long-wanted item for me since the day I saw the pictures in the chinese-translated japanese recipe books on chiffon cakes. These pans come in two sizes: 17 cm and 20 cm. I chose the smaller one as I thought it would look more dainty and sweet after dressing up. In addition, it should feed four persons just right as that is the average family size in our clan. However, even after many rounds of pre-heating, the sides of the pan just stayed pale and removing the sides after baking just made the cake bald. The problem is the base, which is inverted upward as the top part of the cake, it isn't flat like the conventional one. It has a grove that runs around the perimeter of the pan and when the center base tube sits on top of it, it seeemed to tipped a little to the top and leaving the tip of the heart slightly tilted upwards and this caused the batter to seep out.