Friday, October 3, 2014
A not so satisfactory Ogura
Ogura cake a.k.a 相思蛋糕 was ragingly popular once in the Facebook community. I didn't attempt, I was not confident. My Cotton Cheese cake had cracks and such I concluded that I just could not do it well. All of a sudden, Japanese Cheese Cake is in the rage again and I caught on too. Though the cheese cakes were not very well baked, I am glad that the tops are intact, thanks very much to the postings from ieatishootipost. It is simply the idea that since the surfaces of the cheese cakes were good, I should have a trial bake on the Ogura cake.
The recipe says:
100g egg yolk ( 5 yolks)
1 whole egg (56 g)
50g corn oil
60 ml pandan juice + pandan paste
Whisk the above till visible small bubbles, then sift in 70g Cake Flour, mix well and leave aside.
200g egg whites ( 5 eggs)
80g castor sugar
cream of tartar ( I had omitted)
Whisk till soft peak and fold into yolk batter.
Pour into a lined 8 inches square tin and bake till done.
Actually, it was rather baffling. I just cannot obtained 100 grams of yolk from 5 eggs, given that I was using a tray of 650g eggs. However, I did get around 200g of egg whites from the same eggs which I separated the yolks. So, I was torn between adding one more yolk or just ignored and followed the ' 5 yolks' from other bloggers. Which is correct?????
Being the first attempt, I think this is passable but not quite up to satisfaction. There shall be more bakes on this for perfection, in addition to my Japanese Cheese cake.