About my Blog

A pleasurable journey on baking, embarked at the spur of the moment but still indulging in it.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Learning from the Master

This is Chef Daniel Tay from Bakerzin. I had atttended two classes on Breadmaking by the Master himself and the breads below were baked as 'Homework' for his critic for the third class.

I used Chef Daniel's recipe for the traditional bread thinking that I could bake it into loaf. When I showed it to him on Saturday, he said that for a bread to be baked in a square tin as loaf would be known as a Pullman Bread. The recipe used is a different one as it doesn't use egg, hence it is not yellowish. In addition, sugar content is between 8% to 12% and more shortening than butter is used.

To bake a traditional bread using a pullman's tin, the arrangement of the dough should be cut into smaller portion and placed perpendicular to the length instead of parallel.

The grain showned has a circular pattern instead of a straight one if it was placed vertically. Chef Daniel alo added that it was slightly underproofed. An additional 10 minutes will be better.


So it is better to bake it into traditional buns like this.


The next bread I baked was Mini Mexico Buns. This was deliberately baked on Saturday morning because I wanted it to be timely for the class. I shouldn't have done that, it was a mistake. First of all, I was out of time due to the long fermentation and proofing. Next, I made two recipes at one go and such I was very tired.
Initially when I saw the 'feet' on the Mexico Bun, I thought it is normal as I saw quite a number of bakeries putting this item on sale. Now I know that if the bun has a 'UFO' shape, it meant that the topping was overwhipped which resulted in the runny state of the batter. To remedy this, extra flour can be added. This reminded me of my first attempt on making this as it did not have any 'feet' at all and very classic. Chef Daniel also commented that this is slightly underbaked, he would prefer to bake it for another 2 to 3 mins. He smelled the bread and added that more coffee extract can be added to make the aroma more intense.

This was the other bread recipe which I did on Saturday. It received a nod from Chef Daniel for the texture and presentation.