About my Blog

A pleasurable journey on baking, embarked at the spur of the moment but still indulging in it.

Monday, September 28, 2009

How should this be?


I can't believe that they were from the same dough, made on the same day and baked together at the same time. The only difference was that I took out the batch shown in the photo above to cool before cutting and the bottom one was cut while hot. However, I'm puzzled, what kind of texture should the biscotti be? Why did they look so pale? I took this question to Chef Daniel Tay yesterday as I was attending a 'Just Dessert 1' class and he confirmed with his pastry chef, James, that the biscotti should be let to cool down a little before cutting. Then bake again. He also confirmed that the sample given to us was made with brown sugar.

No matter what texture they turned out to be, irregardless of the colour hue, they were very well received by Nicholas and CC. This is the first time that CC has good commentary for my bakes.