About my Blog

A pleasurable journey on baking, embarked at the spur of the moment but still indulging in it.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Ouch! It really hurts!

I was dumb! So many baking instructors had cautioned against getting nasty burn from caramelizing sugar and I was not thinking right. I simply dipped my finger onto the spatula which was stirring in the pot of caramelized sugar and then the excrutiating pain came. For a moment, I stood frozen from numbness and then I recalled what brother-in-law had told me. Quickly, I reached for my rice wine and poured out a big bowl and submergerd my pointer into it for a good thirty minutes before the pain became unbearable. With my injured finger, I carried on with my whipping cream and bananas and completed the Banana caramel swiss roll.
It was the most painful cake I had ever made.

There were three types of swiss roll sponge sheet used in Keiko's recipes: souffle swiss roll, speical biscuit sponge and swiss roll sponge as in this picture. This kind of sponge sheet is not as spongy as the souffle swiss roll and between the two, I prefer the texture of the latter. However, when it is combined with the banana and the cream, it tastes good.