About my Blog

A pleasurable journey on baking, embarked at the spur of the moment but still indulging in it.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Obsession

My obsession with pots began with this Le Creuset Antique Rose Series. The colour just strike me and I began searching frantically for them in local shopping outlets as well as online. This was understood to be introduced to the Japanese market last year as a limited season special series. I couldn't believe my eyes when I chanced upon this in Takashimaya last Sunday and the great thing was that they were on sale! Given that the availability for the range is limited, I chose this sauce pan and another oval french oven.

So, I thought of a way to initiate its use.

A no knead bread was baked in this pan. Truly no kneading was done, only initial mixing and the rest of the fourteen hours were purely resting the dough for fermentation. This recipe is a simple French bread which consists of flour, yeast, salt and water. I saw how it was done on Asian Food Channel and followed the method though not its recipe. The dough is extremely wet and sticky so dusting the worktop and the dough generously with flour to shape it is necessary. After a final thirty minutes of proofing, the dough was transferred to the preheated saucepan for baking.


The air pockets in the bread were large, typical of a no knead bread. The interior is chewy and surprisingly soft while the outside is crusty. In comparison, the breads made by the lengthy conventional method are richer in taste. However, aptly put by Nicholas, great to eat with a a bowl of Cream of mushroom.