About my Blog

A pleasurable journey on baking, embarked at the spur of the moment but still indulging in it.

Thursday, August 4, 2011

A Julia Child's classic


Reine de Saba - Queen of Sheba, a classic cake from Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. As its known, this is a Chocolate and Almond cake with Chocolate - butter icing. I came upon this blog and found the recipe straight forward, but when I did a search and discovered many people had posted their similar bakes with recipes in either three yolks or four and named this cake as such. Some sites stated that there are two versions as well.
This cake was iced with 33% Tanariva Valrhona Chocolate instead of the semisweet chocolate, thus appearance of the coating seemed paler in comparison. However, I used 55% Equatoriale for the cake itself. In this way, Nataniel would not complain that the cake was too bitter.