About my Blog

A pleasurable journey on baking, embarked at the spur of the moment but still indulging in it.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Not Butter and milk but Buttermilk


This is my second attempt in making this Buttermilk Country Cake. I did not realise the crucial phrase ' must be softened' and ended up over mixing the batter during the first attempt. Then I saw Aunty Yochana's and her comments and that made me re-read the recipe book again. That make me realised my mistake. I did not use softened butter and therefore, I did not add both buttermilk and butter into the dry ingredients. As a result, I overbeat the batter and it became 'kueh'.

The second time proved much better. Though it tasted sweeter than what I normally would have eaten, it is soft, moist and kind of milky. I will definitely reduce the amount of sugar the next time.
Despite being in the butter cake family, Rose's method of mixing is different. The advantage of using this method is much easier to wash up.