For a change from Keiko's recipes, I baked this Fruit Pastry Cake which was done in Happy HomeBaking's blog. She had made it so beautifully that I can't resist trying. Since the children were sweating themselves out at the Formula drift event, I found myself a good opportunity today. After a thorough search for both fresh and canned fruit available for this cake only came up with strawberries, blueberries and canned pineapple. I went ahead with those knowing that the end result would not be as captivating.
I followed the recipe strictly without even adjusting the amount of sugar used. The only ingredient I made a change was the sour cream: I used light sour cream. The cake is sweeter than parents would normally eat, but not to the extent of intolerance. Yet, it went well with hubby and the children. I don't think I will decrease the sugar given the nice texture of it but will use the sour cream as indicated instead. Probably, this will balance up.